Friday 11 June 2010

US66 Tour - Day 1 - London to Chicago

It’s 8pm as I sit and write this, my first blog from the land of the free. 2am UK time, so I have been up 20 hours. I don’t feel particularly tired but my shoulders are killing me, on account of carrying two heavy bags about all day.

Flight was delayed by about 25 mins (what BA had a delayed flight?) finally getting off the ground about 12:10. Stand to stand was about 7h 45m. Fairly quiet flight, especially as the people next to me were elderly Germans, so not exactly wanting to pass the time. Mind you, Hermina seemed the tactile type, that’s to say she spent most of the flight monopolising the armrest, nudging me and generally making a nuisance of herself. She managed to switch my reading light on/off with her elbow on more than one occasion!!

For those that have never been to the US before, you’ll know this is my first time, I can honestly say it is the most difficult place to get in to.   1 hour from landing to clearing passport control. I’ve had my fingerprints taken and my photo, however, mercifully I was spared any body search or having to empty the entire contents of my cases.

With a little help from friendly natives I made my way to the CTA station,. the train to the city. Me get a cab, you must be joking. $40 as opposed to $3. Mind you, by the time I had taken the wrong train and had to lug the cases up several flights of steps, I was half thinking I should have spent the money. Journey time by train to hotel about 75 mins, unless you go wrong, so about 90, by which time I was sweating buckets. Did the formalities, made myself known to our tour guide, Gary ‘the bear’ Fleshman and also met Simon & Vivien, a seemingly nice couple a little older than myself I would say.

I then got changed and went out to visit the Willis (Sears) Tower skydeck. That is one tall mofo building I can tell you. The lift takes you to the 103rd floor in 60 seconds!!!  As the feet increment the audio tells you the structures around the world at that height. This is the tallest building in the western hemisphere. The views from 103 are spectacular to say the least. It wasn’t too clear but they say you can see for 50 miles when it is. Then there’s the ledge, or ledges to be exact. 4 glass boxes that hang out over the side of the building. An experience.

After leaving the tower I took a walk round the block to locate the start and end signs for R66.

And that my friends is my first day.

Tomorrow we have a welcome brekkie at 7am, then head off to pick up the Harleys. Forecast isn’t looking too promising, i.e. rain/thunder but it will be warm.

One thing I noticed on my trip around the block. These yanks sure like their Dunkin Donuts……..every other bleedin’ shop almost.

Check out some of my first day pics by clicking the shield. For those without blog access, here’s one for you.


Cheers

Neill

No comments:

Post a Comment